Friday, March 20, 2020

Flat Bread Recipe aka Pita Bread


Here's a simple recipe that I learned by watching my brother in law make a flat bread. Family get togethers often means we all take turns cooking something. Everyone contributes and makes something amazing. I was in awe watching Ian mix the dough, roll it out and see how the flattened rounds puffed up! This is my interpretation of the recipe that just seemed to be in his head.

I usually pull this together when I arrive home rather than leave the dough to rise. 
It all works out and we have flat bread with dinner within an hour.

into a mixing bowl add:
1/2 Cup Luke Warm Water 
1 Tablespoon Yeast
a Drizzle of Honey, 
      (if you don't have honey, it's actually tastier, substitute a bit of sugar)
2 Cups of Flour
a small pinch of Salt, I said small!
a drizzle of Olive Oil (teaspoon or less)

Mix this together. 
You'll need to get your hands in there and kneed the dough enough that it is softer than play dough. Add a bit more water if your dough seems too stiff.

Let it sit for a few minutes.

Cut the dough up into sections that you can now form in your hands into golf ball sized balls.
Leave these on a floured surface. I use a sheet of parchment paper or waxed paper.

In a couple of minutes you'll notice the rounds have swollen ever so slightly becoming a bit 'softer'.
Roll each one out to a round, mine are always awkward shapes, but so be it. Make them as thin as you can but not paper thin.

Heat up your pan, skillet, cast iron, (whatever you might use to cook pancakes in)
The settings on my stove top go from 1-6 to high, I put this at just under 6.
Rub the cooking pan with a tiny amount of olive oil.

My pan fits 3 at a time, place the rounds in the pan and let them cook for a minute. They will puff up, not all of them will puff, but many will. I push them down to allow cooking evenly. Then flip them over to cook the other side. If your pan is too hot they'll burn quickly, so keep an eye on them.
Traditionally once cooked they should resemble the moon, with puffed out craters!

As your flat breads are cooked, place them on a plate under a dish towel to keep them soft and warm.
Serve with salsa, charcuterie, cheese, stew, chicken, whatever you like. 
We rip them apart and enjoy with roasted veggies and charcuterie with cheese.

This block package of yeast is an economical choice rather than the small 3 packs of yeast. Few markets carry this but I find it's worth seeking out. I leave it in the fridge where it keeps for months.
Cast Iron skillet and Tagine in the photo as well.

Cat helper making dough, which looks a bit too wet here!

One of the Izy Hossack Cookbooks. This one includes her recipe for no kneed bread.

I adapted this pretzel recipe from the Top With Cinnamon online recipe of Soft Cinnamon Pretzels.
I make these savory rather than sweet.

This recipe is simple and uses things most of us have readily available. 
If you don't have a rolling pin, use a bottle!
No parchment or wax paper? 
Just clean your counter well, and roll the dough directly onto the counter surface. 

If you would like to write something for this blog to share with others, please get in touch.
r2c2graces@gmail.com
Share what you're doing during the social distancing pandemic.
Suggestions:
Things to do at home with young people
Where to go for a pleasant walk at a place that not many people go to.
A favorite drive.
A list of ten books.
An art project.
Write a poem.
Share your story.
Someone may have a clever way to adapt this recipe using blue corn for instance.
or share a recipe you love!

I tend to write long blogs, at one point the rule was to keep it around 300 words, that no longer applies.
If you'd like to send me your article, try to keep it under 1,000 words and please include 3-5 photos which describe what it is you're writing about.

What I love about blogging and writing essays on my blogs is that they last, where Facebook and Instagram posts fall from the feed quickly. People find articles in the Google Search engine and anyone can enjoy them, not just your friends and followers.

Please share, I thank you and please please stay well.

1 comment:

  1. Great blog. Have to get yeast and then I’m going to try this. Still unpacking. Have been staying so we are stretching out the consolidation. Have found we need another sale!!

    ReplyDelete